- People with blue eyes have a higher tolerance for alcohol than brown-eyed people
- The chlorine in swimming pools smells because the pool is dirty
- Men are better at multitasking
- Women are better at remembering driving routes
- Taxi drivers have a larger hippocampus than regular people
But there was science! Admittedly, it's "edutainment" science, but they had people on with doctorates who explained things. I struggled to reconcile this. Then they gave me the fact about the taxi drivers, and it was all made clear.
Taxi drivers have a larger hippocampus because of their constant effort in tactical route selection and thier dependency on short and long term memory. Like a trained muscle, practising this activity makes them better at it, and as they hit the peak in their training, the task becomes easier.
It stands to reason here that the male taxi driver will follow a route better than the female new driver.
My takeaway here is that an experienced person would trump any gender-enabled amateur, and that anyone can do anything they want to with some practice. As a very tall person who has attempted basketball and racket sports this would appear to hold true.